This Week in the Twitterverse
July 3, 2010
Posted by on
Here’s some reading for the weekend from our Twitter stream on @crossborderbio:
- RT @IBMResearch: Roche and IBM Collaborate to Develop Nanopore-Based DNA Sequencing Technology – http://cot.ag/9vbj8l
- RT @CBCHealth: Chalk River reactor to restart in July: AECL http://bit.ly/d66r72
- RT @ogilvyrenault: Ogilvy Renault’s Rick Sutin quoted in Financial Post article on TSX/TSXV’s strength in cleantech http://bit.ly/cFAXr2
- RT @markrmcqueen @theC100 Another C100 financing: Altos Ventures backs Toronto/SF-based Kontagent for social analytics http://fb.me/zG06wkZQ
- SV Life Sciences closes Fund V. Aimed for $400m, got $523m. http://bit.ly/9SSCPv Congrats! Come invest some of that extra $ in Canada!
- RT @FierceBiotech: Developers lobby for new federal R&D incentives for rare diseases. http://bit.ly/bXxgeW
- via @genomicslawyer Prometheus remanded to Federal Circuit post-Bilski http://bit.ly/cuAGFH
- RT @davidcrow @bwat: The VC Shakeout – Harvard Business Review: http://bit.ly/bRmkvw
- CTI makes $3.2m follow-on investment in Zymeworks (Vancouver antibody therapeutics co) http://bit.ly/aQWhy5
- Immunovaccine (TSXV $IMV) and Oncothyreon ($ONTY) developing a potential therapeutic cancer vaccine. $ not disclosed. http://bit.ly/avjP69
- Where head on = minimalist tiptoeing? RT @genomicslawyer: GLR Post: Bilski and Biotech: Business As Usual, For Now: http://bit.ly/9isN5O
- RT @AHCJ_Pia: Healthcare.gov coming July 1 http://bit.ly/b65NcV
- Aeterna Zentaris ($AEZS) & Almac working on Cancer Therapy+Companion Diagnostic for LHRH expression. $ not disclosed. http://bit.ly/bnCdXa
- Notable awards: Fate Therapeutics wins Red Herring http://bit.ly/9vU9dp QIAGEN-DxS wins Medscience Txn of the Year http://bit.ly/9ZiUaP
- RT @ogilvyrenault: OMERS and Dutch pension fund, ABP, Establish €200 Million Fund for Canadian and Dutch Start-Ups http://bit.ly/98EDOe
- New Post: Key Quotes from the U.S. Supreme Court’s Decision in Bilski Shows No Current Impact on Biotech http://ow.ly/17UTQB
- Solving today’s SCOTUS issues in <140: The President can appoint an oversight board to patent methods of gun use. Ta da!
- Everybody relax. Sarbanes-Oxley Act “remains ‘fully operative as a law’ with [the PCAOB] tenure restrictions excised” http://bit.ly/aOwHnG
- Tesla increases # of IPO shares by 20%. http://bit.ly/cgsKy4 from Bloomberg via @cleanlantern
- @lindaavey still reading, but even if Bilski was seismological I think it’s more “tremor” than “quake”.
- More Bilski:”all members of the Court agree that the patent application at issue here falls outside of §101 b/c it claims an abstract idea.”
- More Bilski “while §273 appears to leave open the possibility of some business method patents, it does not suggest broad patentability…”
- From Bilski: “The machine-or-transformation test is not the sole test for deciding whether an invention is a patent-eligible ‘process.’”
- Bilski process is unpatentable, but SC disapproves “an exclusive machine-ortransformation test”! Link to full pdf http://bit.ly/aKIjCx
- RT @SCOTUSblog: Real-time SCOTUS: Bilski v. Kappos, affirmed, Justice Kennedy writes for the majority.
- RT @FierceBiotech: AstraZeneca is opening up ~500,000 of its chemical compounds to the Medicines for Malaria Venture. http://bit.ly/bN8Nc4