UPDATED Merial in Canada: Sanofi-Aventis to Buy Merck Out for $4 Billion, May (Re)Combine with Intervet Post-Merger
July 30, 2009
Posted by on
The New York Times’ DealBook blog reports that regulatory concerns about Merck’s purchase of Schering-Plough, presumably Schering’s Intervet animal health subsidiary, required Merck to divest its stake in Merial – its animal health JV with sanofi-aventis. Sanofi is kindly obliging, for $4 billion.
Interestingly (given DealBook’s reporting that the JV divestiture is antitrust-driven), Merck, sanofi and Schering also entered into a call option agreement (pdf), giving sanofi-aventis the option to combine Intervet with Merial following the Merck-Schering merger to form a new animal health joint venture with post-merger Merck.
The blurb on Merial Canada, which has what appears to be a small presence in Baie D’urfé Québec, is available for your viewing pleasure
“Merial Canada brings the following animal health products to cattle producers in Canada:
- IVOMEC® (ivermectin) Pour-On – The longest-lasting lice control, with consistent control of other damaging external and internal parasites.
- EPRINEX® (eprinomectin) Pour-On – Long-lasting control of more parasite species and stages than any other product, with no milk withholding.
- ANAFEN® (ketoprofen) – The only non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) approved for dry and lactating dairy cattle – with no milk withdrawal. Approved for Downer Cow Syndrome, mastitis, lameness and painful procedures.
- J-VAC® vaccines – Convenient two-dose protection from coliform mastitis caused by Escherichia coli, for dairy cows and heifers.
- CYSTORELIN® (gonadorelin diacetate tetrahydrate) – A safe and effective way to treat cystic ovarian disease and synchronize ovulation for timed insemination.
- RELIANT® vaccines – MLV respiratory disease protection helps protect open, replacement heifers and open cows from viral respiratory disease. Provides flexibility with a variety of antigen combinations.
- TETRADURE® 300 (oxytetracycline) Injection – Seven- to eight-day protection from respiratory disease for high-risk cattle.
- IGENITY® Profile – Innovative genetic cattle testing that provides beef & dairy producers with a comprehensive, multi-marker DNA analysis for traits of economic importance. Go to www.igenity.com for more information.
- VIROCID® – Convenient and effective, highly concentrated broad-spectrum residual disinfectant that’s safe for people, animals, equipment and the environment
When you buy any of these products, you help make good things happen in Canada.
Merial is a world-leading, innovation-driven animal health company, providing a comprehensive range of products to enhance the health, well-being and performance of a wide range of animals. Merial employs approximately 5,000 people and operates in more than 150 countries worldwide. Merial Limited is a joint venture between Merck & Co., Inc. and sanofi-aventis. For more information, please see www.merial.com